Oktoberfest is still in the air after October for many foodies.
The greatest beer festival in Germany is coveted in almost all corners of the world. Food has an equal part in this festival just like the drinks.
One of the favorite items is Bierocks.
Bierocks are stuffed rolls that originated in Eastern Europe and Russia. It immigrated to the Americas holding the hands of the Volga Germans. Similar foods have been famous in the neighboring areas of its origin like Turkey, Kazakhstan, etc.
Bierocks Recipe Preparation Time
A batch of 20 Bierocks would take 1 ½ hours to get ready for serving.
Bierocks Recipe Ingredients
- Water – 2 cups, warm
- Dry/Active Yeast – ¼ ounce
- White Sugar – ½ cup
- Margarine – ¼ cup softened
- Egg – 1
- All-purpose flour – 7 cups
- Salt – To taste
- Beef – 1 pound, lean/ground
- Onions – 1 cup, chopped
- Cabbage – 6 Cups, shredded
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – ¼ cup, melted
Bierocks Recipe Directions
- Mix the yeast with warm water.
- Wait about 10 minutes for it to become creamy.
- Mix the sugar, margarine, egg and 3 ½ cups of flour with the yeast concoction and beat it to a smooth mixture.
- Add the remaining flour and knead to a dough.
- Let it sit for an hour outside or in the fridge overnight in a foil-covered oiled bowl.
- Stir fry the meat, onion, and cabbage along with pepper and salt.
- Make small balls from the dough and flatten them with a rolling pin.
- Stuff the flat dough with the meat mixture and fold over.
- Let these balls rise again for an hour.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- The Bierocks are ready to be served.
Bierocks can be easily reheated and consumed without any hassle, making it a favorite food amongst a huge population.
For the most popular recipe on Christina All Day, click here.