At the request of my husband, I went on a hunt for the best recipe for gingerbread cookies, did some tweaking, and created my own recipe to ensure they are soft gingerbread cookies.
These are the perfect amount of crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
You can use this recipe with cookie cutters for these gingerbread cookies if you want to turn them into fun shapes. I didn’t feel like making a big mess, so we just used a cookie scooper (my kids think ours is cute because it’s like a baby ice cream scooper) and make the cookies round.
Soft Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
Gingerbread Cookies Ingredients
- 1 cup of molasses
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of water
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 Tablespoons of softened butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Gingerbread Cookies Directions
- In a mixer, mix together the ingredients in the order they are listed above.
- Use a cookie scooper to place on a greased cookie sheet about one inch apart.
- Use the bottom of a glass to lightly push them down so the balls turn into circles.
- Bake for eight minutes at 350 degrees.
- Allow the cookies to cool.
Gingerbread Cookie Icing
If you’re an overachiever, you can make this icing yourself. Today, I’m not feeling it, so I bought some cream cheese icing and will top these gingerbread cookies off with the Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy brand.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out this one. It’s the most popular recipe on my blog.