Who doesn’t love a cake pop?! Starbucks cake pops are the best and got me hooked, so naturally, I had to figure out how to make cake pops at home.
Luckily for me, and my daughter, she got a cake pop kit with sticks, cake pop mix (which is really just cake mix), sprinkles, and coating (AKA candy melts for cake pops). So, Julianna and I became cake pop makers. See the video below!
Cake Pop Ingredients
- cake mix or cake pop mix
- powered sugar
- softened butter
- 2 eggs
- vanilla extract
- candy melts or chocolate chips
- cake pop sticks
Cake Pops Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
- Mix together cake mix, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of butter, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After the cake is cool, cut off outer ring where it’s browned and tougher than the rest. (You don’t want that in your cake pops.)
- Break the rest of the cake up and put it back in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons of butter, and 4 tablespoons of milk.
- Roll mixture into small balls.
- Gently push sticks into balls.
- Place onto a cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Cake Pop Icing
- Heat wafer chocolate chips in the microwave slowly so the chocolate doesn’t burn.
- Take time to take it out, stir it, and repeat until the consistency is perfect for dipping.
- Add food coloring by using different microwave safe bowls for each color.
How to Decorate Cake Pops
- Dip the cake pops in the melted chocolate.
- If you want to cover the entire ball, use a spoon to cover the part around the stick.
- Twist the stick to allow the excess coating to drip back into the bowl.
- Cover with sprinkles or any other decorations.
Cake Pop Calories
If you’re making cake pops, you’re probably expecting to take in a few extra calories. It’s pretty easy to calculate if you just add up the nutritional facts on the back of all of the ingredients used.
In this cake pop kit, one is about 160 calories… and it tastes like it too!
If you liked this recipe, check out one of my favorites for banana bread muffins here.
The most popular on my blog is this one. It’s butter cake! The inspiration? California Pizza Kitchen.