Goetta (pronounced as getta) is the staple breakfast of the greater Cincinnati area… as as someone from central Ohio, I had to give this Goetta Recipe some blogging love!
People are surprised to know that the dish is actually of German origin!
Infused with the goodness of meat and whole grain, this Goetta recipe is the perfect breakfast recipe you have been searching for.
Goetta Recipe preparation time
Preparation time: 24 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Goetta Recipe Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups pinhead oats or steel-cut oats
- ½ cup ground beef
- ½ cup ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp crushed the garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp allspice
- 1 Tbsp ground sage
- Red chili flakes (depends on preference)
Goetta Recipe Garnishing Ingredients
Coriander leaves (finely cut)
Goetta Recipe Directions
- Boil water with the seasonings in a large container.
- Add oats to the boiling water.
- Cook for two hours on medium heat.
- In a separate container, take the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- After oats are cooked, add the mixed ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for two hours while stirring. All the water should be absorbed and meat should be cooked well.
- Put the cooked mixture in a thick bottom baking pan and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate overnight.
The Next Day…
- To cook, cut the refrigerated block into ½ inch thick blocks for crisp outer and gooey inside.
- Cut into ¼ inch blocks for crispy goetta.
- Take a non-stick pan and put little oil or butter on it.
- Cook each side of goetta till it’s golden-brown. Do not flip it instantly. It will break the slice.
- Sprinkle cut coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with an omelet or poach and a cup of hot coffee.
Goetta Recipe Alternative Directions
You can serve the cooked mixture like porridge as breakfast also.
Team it up with sausages and poach.
For the most popular recipe on Christina All Day, butter cake, click here.