My mom is from Puerto Rico, so this recipe is very fitting for the Christina All Day blog.
This Puerto Rican pudding is made of coconuts with a combination of spices, flavors, and rum to spice it up.
The dessert is served and loved equally in all the Latin American nations despite being of Puerto Rican descent.
‘Tembleque’ as a word means anything that shakes by itself, in Spanish. The texture of this dessert is like Jell-O because of which it has garnered the given name.
Tembleque Recipe Preparation Time
In order to prepare a batch of six Tembleque servings, the time taken is about three hours and fifteen minutes
Tembleque Recipe Ingredients
- Coconut Milk – 2 cans or 14 ounces
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Cornstarch – ½ cup
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 pinch
- Kosher Salt – ¼ teaspoon
Tembleque Recipe Directions
- In a saucepan put the coconut milk, kosher salt, sugar together.
- Heat the pan and keep stirring.
- Take about half a cup of the mixture from the pan and add the cornstarch.
- Mix the cornstarch and the mixture well, so that the cornstarch dissolves completely.
- Put the cornstarch mixed ingredient back into the pan where the original mixture is being heated.
- Mix the ingredients well, until a smooth creamy and thick texture comes up (about 5 minutes).
- When the desired texture is reached, remove the pan from the heat.
- Put the mixture in molds and wrap it up.
- Refrigerate it for about three hours until it becomes firm.
- Run a knife with light fingers along the edges so that the dessert comes off easily.
- Serve with a dusting of cinnamon.
For the most popular recipe on Christina All Day, click here.